Thursday, 19 September 2013

Rethink

A while ago I started using up all my pre-cut 3 7/8" triangles and 2" squares to make one of Bonnie's designs for my son.  I got the blocks made up, but I really don't like it when it goes together as I have used too wide a variety of greens, all of them in fact!  It just looks a mess to me.   I can use these component blocks up (enough for the whole quilt!) by mixing them with some strong reds later. 

Meanwhile, he needs a quilt, particularly as he has moved into a rather cold flat with his girlfriend.   I had about three hundred cream/green four patches left from the above sewing, so I picked out the 'greenest' ones, went to my cut strips for 3 1/2" reds and cut a few more.   It's Bonnie's pattern, you can find it here.
These blocks came together really fast as the four patches were already made.
Someone wouldn't pose, she just kept wandering about on the trial layout! 

I am going to put  a 2 1/2" cream border and a 6"  green and red outer border on  to make the quilt larger.   I'm wrestling with webbing it at the moment! I have the perfect dark red backing fabric, with bamboo fronds on.

Bonnie's scrap users system has come into its own recently, the last two projects have had me dipping into my cut pieces to finish something.

I also had to try out a whole block using the pink snips from sisters choice, fiddly as each square finished at 1 1/2", but I like it.
Linking for the Brit Linky Thursday at Dandelion Daydreams

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow this is impressive, that's a lot of squares!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found a solution to your son's quilt. It's looking great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you both for dropping by xx Hopefully, tomorrow I will have a fully fledged flimsy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's going to be great.
    Thanks for linking up xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, the borders went on today!

      Delete