Monday, 10 August 2015
Purging the greens and planning a new learning curve
I have made 395 green/brown pinwheels for two projects from the pre-cuts.
I made 347 4 patches from the remaining two patches, with greens that are better matched in each block, to be put by for a future project TBC.
Thirty seven of these made, you can't really tell they contain a green/neutral four patch.
I have chain sewn sets of triangles for Box Kite, to be pressed: I made 14 blocks so far. I really like this block. The top centre one doesn't fit with the others as the blue is too pale. There will be enough for at least two quilts, so I can sort them into tone block types when they are all done.
I also did a few Perkiomen Daydreams blocks. I will be pressing the ones I have to check the accuracy (it's difficult to determine without a press as they finish at 1"). If I am not happy I will abandon this project. I can't work out why my pinwheel accuracy is almost always spot on, but simple squares seem wonky. This is Bonnie's block and its perfect!
I have been investigating one block wonder quilts. They are not a difficult to construct as I thought, helpful videos found on Youtube. Bruce Seeds's Flickr page shows some informative pictures about fabric choices.
I found these in my stash, good quality fabrics bought at silly sale prices as backing.
I also bought several metres in the sale from Lady Sew and Sew ( UK), one of my favorite online shops, of this Makower fabric that I think will do well, lots of colour and shape variation. Don't know about the size of the print yet, as it hasn't arrived!
I stashed some ideas on my Pinterest page too.