Thursday, 25 October 2012

Purple progress and the next project....

Only a little progress, been too tired after work this week. About half the purple blocks are done. 



This evening I cut the 1 1/2" finished sashings, 10 1/2" long, from more ugly greys, they're going down fast!  I have worked out I will only need 8 x 8 blocks for this quilt as I want to put a 1 1/2" grey edging border, a 4" finished row of coloured moths, then another 1 1/2" border in grey. With the sashings being 1 1/2" finished  it will be too big to use all the blocks I intended. Plenty left for the second quilt.  I will probably make that one over Christmas.

Sashings and borders mostly cut......
I also had to try the sashings out- I really didn't like this one and had a 'moment' as I have cut yards.....
..........but I thought it my be that the creams were quite dark in this block, so I tried another.........

........much better!  All put together it will be fine.  This is intended as a more 'manly' quilt, hence all the greys.It would probably be better with ONE grey but I am NOT buying more fabric! Except grey for the binding, I want that all one colour........

I have a feeling I won't be able to wedge it under the space in the Bernina to quilt as it's so big-if I can't, I will tie the moth blocks with beads and just quilt the border. This will be my first full size quilt on the machine, I hope I can shove it under there.

Whilst having a fabric sort out I realised I am never going to have time to complete this handpiecing project..........
....... so I raked out he hundreds of paired hand-pieced green/cream blocks, along with all  the green and cream triangles (1 1/2" finished squares and 3" finished trianges for the next machine project. 
That's a deep box of cut up greens there...........
I will be doing one of Bonnie Hunters patterns..........


 I have more than enough cut shapes for this.   Loving the fact I'm using mostly pre-cut lately!


No comments:

Post a Comment